On June 11, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that it will ease border restrictions effective from 00:00 on June 15, 2022 (incoming flights scheduled arrival time in Taiwan), provided that a cap on the number of arrivals is enforced.
Quarantine period and location
The day of arrival counts as Day 0; a three-day home quarantine and four-day self-initiated epidemic prevention following the end of quarantine will be required. The previous seven-day self-health management will be terminated.
Epidemic prevention rules to follow during the self-initiated epidemic prevention period:
- Avoid going outside unless necessary.
- A negative result from an at-home rapid test taken within two days should be presented if an arrival needs to go out to work or buy daily necessities.
- Masks must be worn at all times when outside and social distancing must be maintained.
- An arrival fulfilling business contractual obligations may go to work, conduct site visits, give a speech, or have a meeting, provided that a mask must be worn at all times when outside and social distancing must be maintained.
- Masks must be worn at all times and social distancing must be maintained at work; masks can be temporarily removed when dining and should be put on after finishing dining.
- Avoid going to crowded venues or contact with nonspecific persons.
- An arrival fulfilling business contractual obligations may dine alone or with specific persons in a separate space in a restaurant provided that table dividers must be installed or social distancing must be maintained.
- Non-urgent medical services or examinations should be postponed.
An arrival should observe the rule of one person per residence in his or her quarantine location or stay in a quarantine hotel; in principle, the arrival should undergo the three-day quarantine and four-day self-initiated epidemic prevention in the same location. Furthermore, in consideration of shared living arrangements for migrant workers, fishermen, and students and their higher risk of cluster infection, the regulatory authority of the respective business will ask such individuals to complete the self-initiated epidemic prevention period in their quarantine location and not to attend classes, work, or go out unless necessary during the period.
- Arrivals must present a COVID-19 PCR test result within two days before their scheduled flight to Taiwan.
- PCR testing: deep-throat saliva samples will be collected from arrivals for PCR testing at the airport/port on the day of arrival (Day 0).
- At-home rapid tests: two rapid test kits will be given to arrivals aged two and older by workers at international airports/ports upon arrival; arrivals can use the test kits when symptoms occur during quarantine and before they go out for the first time during the self-initiated epidemic prevention period.
Besides taking quarantine taxis, arrivals can get a ride from their friends, relatives, companies or organisations, and epidemic prevention measures for quarantine vehicles, as well as other prevention protocols, should be followed.
In principle, a maximum limit of 25,000 arrivals per week will be set in the initial stage.
The Civil Aviation Administration (CAA) of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications will implement new measures for transit passengers and ensure that epidemic prevention measures are followed.